Monday, November 17, 2008

Why Johnnywbred?

Actually the name goes back a couple of years now. First a little background. I lived a pretty uneventful childhood. What I mean is that I flew under the radar. I never was directly rebellious and I didn't really stand out. I will say I was shy as a youngster and though I had friends I wasn't involved in lots of activities. Girls? Please I was scared to death of girls and looking back I really don't know why. I didn't even go out with a girl til college and my first real girlfriend was after college.
Back to the name thing. It stands for Johnny Whitebread, meaning plain and ordinary. More specifically though it is a reference to me going to a high school with 1200 students and only 3 of them being black or african-american. I basically had no social contact with black people for my youth having one side of the city being white and the other side being more mixed. Anyway what is the point? Little known to anyone and especially my mother (much to her displeasure) is that I was really infatuated with black women. It first started by watching Bernadette Stanis (Thelma) on "Good Times" and later watching the Saturday show "Solid Gold" which was a review of top 40 music. This show had a dancer named Darcel who was so "freaking hot" (Oops will this blog need a mature advisory tag) and she was way too much for a teenage boy. Still this is probably not such a big thing and I'm sure many teenage white boys had similar thngs going on in their overly testosterone filled minds.
But what makes me Johnnywbred is that I ended up marrying a black woman. Me, fly under the radar, afraid to make waves, actually doing something that is, I think most people would agree is a little out there. And you know where we met? Church. I met her not long after my first girlfriend Linda brought me to her church ( which ended up being cult-like and falling apart) and then after Linda and I parted ways I began looking for a new church. While this was going on I had a birthday and I received a card from my Christian grandmother who said she was praying for me to find a wife (I was 27 years old at this time). Within an hour of receiving that card I got a call from my now wife who was inviting me to this church event that weekend. I had just started visiting her church which was overwhelmingly white (as many churches here in New England are) and she was only one of 2 blacks attending ( the other being her brother who was an elder there). But not only that she, her roommate, and I were the only ones in the church who came from a different city. It was convenient for us to drive together and go to community groups together.
Though I always liked black ladies on a shall we say primal level, I never in a million years thought I would end up marrying a "sistah" So that's why I am Johnnywbred. And this the latest edition of "Faith Unfiltered."

1 comment:

Rebecca Holter said...

I think I can take it. - Becca