Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vegetables and God

It's been a long day and I don't have much energy. The only thing crossing my mind is how hard it is to get my kids to eat their vegetables.I guess it's a common thing that lots of kids don't want to eat their vegetables. In fact I know of many parents who have the same old line regarding kids and their veggies. "How do you know you don't like them when you haven't tried them. " I'm not quite sure what it is with kids and their vegetables but they all have decided that they just don't like them.
And of course there is no use to try to reason with them about the benefits of eating their vegetables; nutrition, vitamins, etc. kids are just determined not to eat them. Plain and simple children will just be stubborn about it and it takes a patient and creative parent to turn kids around to the importance of them having them.
Stubborn is a common trait with kids and quite frankly it is equally common among adults. I bring this up because I think it is helpful when someone talks to me about something that may be to my benefit, yet I may be stubbornly opposed, that the person giving me the advice confesses to me that he too is stubborn and at least at one time was stubbornly opposed to the same thing that he is now trying to persuade me is to my benefit.
Talking about one's faith can be a difficult thing. And it stands to reason because hearing about faith and the idea of God is much like vegetables. People are like little children, but instead of saying, "yuck" they usually give the more mature "not interested." I bring this up because I want to put on the record that I at one time thought of God as just like vegetables. I had determined in my mind that I did not like God, did not need God, and I wished quite frankly that people who told me that I should try God, would "just shut up and leave me alone."
There is a funny thing though that separates God and vegetables. By me not eating vegetables, green beans and broccoli never got up from the plate and pursued me. They never told me that not only were they good for me but that they also loved me. They never told me that they would forgive me for being so stubborn and not eating them. In fact I was at war with vegetables just as I was at war with God wanting no part of either. Still while I was His enemy, Christ died for me. Vegetables can do no such thing.

No comments: