Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why Theology Matters

During a recent conversation with a friend he hinted at the fact that I need to lighten up on my blogs a bit. He also suggested that I focus more on the simplicity of Christ's teachings and not make theology such a focus, meaning perhaps I focus too much on the theoretical and not enough on the practical. In some ways I take that as a compliment since I actually think I am rather pedestrian in my theological knowledge, and lean more towards simplifying biblical themes. I am a recovering journalism major after all...lol!

One thing I disagree regarding theology is this notion that it is not practical. Perhaps you can go too far spending time in ivory towers writing long winded academia for pointy headed scholars that no ordinary Joe can understand, but this in no way can wipe away the importance of good theology and its practical implications. Ideas have consequences and this is most true in the study of God.

My theological leanings come from an historic reformed perspective. There has been a resurgence of this theology, particularly among the young, and Time Magazine wrote an article on the "new Calvinism" which is a reference to John Calvin, an historic prominent figure in the protestant reformation. Calvin, Martin Luther, and St. Augustine going way back for that matter had a view of salvation that has great implications in how we view our roles in bringing the gospel message to those we meet in our daily lives.

For those who believe in the idea of a "new birth" being essential for salvation, meaning a man must be "born again" to enter the kingdom of god, this occurs one of two ways. One way is that God the Holy Spirit illuminates the human heart of an individual to see its sin and need for a savior (Jesus Christ) and hence then the spirit of God enables the person to repent from sin and turn to faith in Christ and accept his sacrifice for sin as a means of forgiveness, and then being accepted by a Holy god because of what Christ did on the sinner's behalf. This happens as the sinner cooperates with the aid of the Holy Spirit to bring about this process of what theologians term "regeneration" or being "born again."

Another view of the "new birth," and the one that I and the "Calvinists" hold to is that God "regenerates a "dead" sinner, one who is a slave to sin, and makes him "alive." In turn, the now "regenerate" and "new creation" exercises repentance and faith in Christ as the result of what the Holy Spirit has done. This act of salvation towards a sinner is God's act of grace and mercy from start to finish; a monergistic form of salvation (theological term) as opposed to the first idea which is synergistic, meaning man's cooperation is needed for the salvation to ultimately occur.

Why does this matter? It matters a great deal actually since the view you hold can determine greatly how you go about life and especially in dealing with people. On my facebook page I have had the fortune of meeting interesting people and adding them as "friends." One friend I particularly like is at best undecided about God, and at worst an outright unbeliever. Because I care about her and about her need for salvation by accepting Christ as savior, I feel compelled to do something. If I hold view number one, then I do all I can to try to persuade my friend to cooperate with the gospel message. In many ways I have to be prepared to be a "good salesman" for lack of a better term to make her see the seriousness of her need for salvation. One problem with this, one that can be very stressful, is what if a person just does not want to hear it? Many people reject all kinds of things that are good for them. What if a person is from a different religion and have been reared all their lives to follow the ways of mom and dad and not betray the religion of your youth? My problem with view number one is that while in theory God may give all men a chance to be saved, He still leaves only legitimate options for salvation only open to those who are reasonable and willing to change. This seems to me that God favors merit and the people who have some "good" qualities such as willingness and reason are the only ones who can enter His kingdom.

In view number two, there is the troubling idea that only "God's elect" can be ultimately saved. But uncomfortable that idea is, can we really hold out hope that mankind is capable of accepting Christ? Does not man, first and foremost in his life, want to be the "captain of his own destiny." The idea of submitting to a Holy and Just God who demands worship and obedience of people is an idea that stiffens up the necks of sinners who will shake their fist and say, "I will not bow the knee." Am I wrong in believing that a sinner will exercise their "free will" only in accordance to things that satisfy their selfish desires, rather than use their choices for God? I expect a lion to behave in ways that reflect his being a lion. Likewise I expect a sinner to choose for sin rather than righteousness. And does not a creature of darkness run away from light rather that walk towards it?

My heart is troubled by a friend who by her own admission does not know Christ in a personal way. The consolation I have, and one that is tied to my theology, is that God can change her heart. The Lord Jesus Christ can do to my friend the same thing that He did to Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay;
fast bound in sin and nature's night;
thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
my chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.

No comments: