Monday, February 23, 2009

Repercussions of "girl talk" or God "taking someone out"

My wife is an opinionated lady so sometimes it comes as a surprise to me when somebody says something, something that I know she disagrees with, and she just moves on. In fact when I've mentioned this on a few occasions she says she only vaguely remembers the comment in question. I've noticed that this occurs in the context of "girl talk" or trying to establish a relationship with someone new.

This got me to thinking why so many thoughtful, intelligent people can listen to some outlandish things and seem to not blink an eye. Sometimes when I watch a Christian worship service, I will hear a televangelist say something clearly off the wall and the congregation will nod in approval and holler out "amen." I wonder if what is going on here is not so much about people actually believing what is said , but is more about what occurs from time to time with my wife during "girl talk" or building a new relationship.
I would characterize this under "church talk" or" trying to fit in" that may explain this puzzling behavior of listening to some nonsense. One may argue my premise that the folks in question are actually intelligent or thoughtful, maybe they are simple sheep looking for a shepherd. I would be biased if I were to say that my wife is intelligent and thoughtful so maybe all those in the congregation are just simpletons.

Still think about this for a moment. Would you not agree that all humans (bright and slow) are relational beings and because of this they really long for a sense of belonging. Would it be surprising that in a busy world where time is hard to come by, that those who had a yearning for spiritual things and who wished to belong to something...that maybe that desire for relationship may cause them to turn off their brains and their ears just a bit.

Let me give an example of something that happened at my church recently. Those in the presbyterian denomination tend to be more anal about theology and making sure things are explained precisely. Many here have jobs that require considerable intelligence and some have advanced degrees. Still there are things that may be said that are way out there and may still fly under the radar, at least with some folks. Years ago I went to a church that was a bit crazy to be charitable. This makes me sensitive to aberrant thinking and helped me catch on to a comment made from the pews at a recent adult sunday school class. I know some folks there caught on to it but I'm not sure how many.

We had been discussing communion or "The Lord's Supper" and how serious are its implications. Scripture states that if we partake unworthily we will place ourselves into judgment and may even die. One of our church members then commented on how he saw a pastor "taken out" right in the middle of the service during communion. On first glance this may seem okay to say and it is a curious thing that someone would die during the partaking of the Lord's table during communion. But let me ask this. Did anyone ever prove this pastor was engaged in sinful behavior prior to his death? Did anyone consider that this pastor's death may have been appointed by God as a means to wake up somebody else in the congregation of their particular sinfulness? How bout this. Could it be possible that cause and effect may be taking place and the pastor just finished his 10,000 bacon cheeseburger the night before and this finally clogged his arteries ( that hadn't been checked for years) to the point where a massive heart attack was inevitable?

Why is this important and why be so sensitive about conclusions reached from scripture? You may say that there was no harm in using this pastor as an example to gain attention even if may not be accurate. I disagree. First from the example of the book of Job we should not conclude that when bad things happen to someone it is because they were in sin. Second and perhaps more important for Christians is this. We should do what we can not to look like unthoughtful idiots to others. At any time skeptics or unbelievers may walk into the "household of faith" to see what is going on. And just as I have noticed how foolish this "girl talk" or "church talk" can look when you are on the outside looking in, imagine how it is to skeptics or unbelievers who walk in and see people who may have dulled their brains a bit or stopped being inquisitive all for the sake of "belonging" and "relationships."

No comments: